a couple months ago, i began a new blog series, of sorts, in which i compiled a mix of the best music i had discovered in the preceding two months. the series and mixes are called, two in review. here’s what i wrote in the original blog post:
i consume a lot of music. it’s probably some kind of music ADD thing. i should probably seek out some kind of music junkies anonymous meeting or engage in some kind of full-out intervention. ultimately, i just love music and thus, consume quite a bit on any given week or month.
as the long-time (or even short-time, i guess) blog readers know, i write about and review music semi-regularly. for awhile, i was attempting to write a series simply called, music you should know, which featured some of the new music i was discovering. as with most of my well-intentioned series, it didn’t last. but, consistently, i really would like to share about the new music i’m discovering. often, it just gets lost in the shuffle of more pressing blog posts and generally speaking, if it goes past a few weeks of its release date, i tend to just move on. regretfully, many great albums that are worth sharing about go unmentioned on the blog.
i’m going to attempt to remedy that problem. starting today, i’m going to focus on an overview of a couple month’s worth of new music, rather than reviewing individual albums (i will likely still do that a little, if time allows or i fell particularly compelled). every two months, i plan to publish a downloadable mix called two in review. it will feature 20ish standout tracks from the standout albums i’ve bought over the previous 2 months. so, for this inaugural edition, it will feature music that was either released or i obtained in the months of may and june. the subsequent release will be for july/august and so on.
[longest. blockquote. ever.] 🙂
so, another couple months have passed by and it’s time to once again bring you two in review. enjoy.
here’s the lineup for the july/august 2010 edition:
1. Repo Man / Ray LaMontagne & the Pariah Dogs [from God Willin’ & the Creek Don’t Rise]
2. Rococo / Arcade Fire [from The Suburbs]
3. Carbon Ribs / John Mark McMillan [from The Medicine]
4. No Turning Back / Sarah Blasko [from As Day Follows Night]
5. Walking Through Walls (Just to Get to You) / Kevin Max [from Cotes d’Armor]
6. Colors / April Smith & the Great Picture Show [from Songs for a Sinking Ship]
7. Follow Us (ft. Vonnegut) / Big Boi [from Sir Lucious Leftfoot: The Son of Chico Dusty]
8. See Me Now (ft. Beyonce & Charlie Wilson) / Kanye West [from the forthcoming Untitled]
9. A Million Years / David Gray [from Foundling]
10. Lose It (In the End) (ft. Ghostface Killah) / Mark Ronson [from the forthcoming Record Collection]
11. Where the Streets Have No Name / Derek Webb [from Democracy, Vol. 1]
12. Heirloom / Sufjan Stevens [from All Delighted People]
13. My Pet Snake / Jenny & Johnny [from I’m Having Fun Now]
14. Welcome to the Good Times / The Black Crowes [from Croweology]
15. F**k You / Cee-Lo [from the forthcoming The Lady Killer]
16. Heavy in Your Arms / Florence + The Machine [from Twilight: Eclipse Soundtrack]
17. Nothing Else Matters / Lissie [from Live Sessions]
18. Sign Your Name (ft. Justin Timberlake) / Sheryl Crow [from 100 Miles to Memphis]
19. God’s Hometown / Caedmon’s Call [from the forthcoming Raising Up the Dead]
20. Mtvt. II Sketch / Lost in the Trees [from Alone in an Empty House]
// download the .zip //