so i’m the dude who crashed little rock family’s mommy blogger story

Tuesday, June 29th, 2010

so i’m the dude who crashed little rock family’s mommy blogger story

greetings. welcome to the blog. maybe you’re here because you saw me in a little rock family story about the top local bloggers. i’m the large, hairy woman in the middle. you know, the one who looks like the offspring of a lumberjack and a grizzly bear. yeah, that’s me.

the lone dude.

I was glad to be asked to take part in the story by jennifer pyron, editor of little rock family. (as a matter of full disclosure, jennifer is a coworker, as I am the advertising art director for arkansas business publishing group, the umbrella company of little rock family.) there was suppsed to be one other male blogger, apparently, but his wife came in his place (if i understood correctly).

this is probably a good moment to pause and address something that has come up in a couple real life conversations as well as in social media outlets. the following sentence has generated a little “controversy” (for lack of a better word): *Here, we’ve pulled together a group of talented women (and one man!) who live, work and blog in central Arkansas.* of course, the thing that has tripped up a few people—and even me on first read—is the “and one man!” part. on the surface, it would seem that it shows a little surprise that there’s actually a man who can blog or, more specifically, blog about family-related issues. it might seem like a poor choice of words—and maybe it is—but as someone who knows jennifer, i can literally hear her saying this line and laughing in a sorta disarming way. sure, it probably draws undue attention to the fact that it’s very slanted toward a single gender, but i know jennifer’s intention wasn’t to do that. for what it’s worth, i thought i’d put that out there.

so, alas, is was me & 12 little rock mommies. I was left to carry the mantle of daddy blogging all by myself. and ultimately, I’m cool with that. (and it was good to reconnect with several blogosphere/twitter friends that I hadn’t seen in awhile or never met.)

the day of the photoshoot, several of us joked about me being the only dad involved. (we vowed to register www.littlerockfathershatetheirfamilies.com.) in the midst of our joking, though, I couldn’t help but to think that there’s probably quite a bit of cultural dynamics at play in this realization. it’s worth stating, first, that by no means do I consider this a “family”-centric blog. it’s really my space to talk about—as the tagline reads—life, theology and culture. but certainly, at the core of all 3 of those things is my wife and 3 children. life certainly speaks for itself. to talk of god and divorce the ramifications for my family is pointless and to even talk about popular culture without regard to how it interplays with my family is somewhat dishonest. nevertheless, though, I don’t—like many other bloggers in the feature—solely dedicate my blog as a space to feature every movement of my childrens’ lives (not that that’s not an engaging/interesting thing to do).

with all that said, I’m curious as to why the pool of “daddy bloggers” is so shallow. I’m not so naive as to not understand the cultural gender norms of our society. i get it. I’m also not so cynical or judgmental as to feel compelled to rail against these norms (I’ll save that for another time). 🙂 but undoubtedly, there’s ample room to question why, of all the bloggers in little rock (and surrounding areas), only 1 single dad—who only occasionally blogs about his children—can be scrounged up. dads, where are you?

again, I certainly don’t mean this as an indictment. please understand my intentions. more to the point, it’s a bit of a challenge for dads who blog to offer a more holistic view of your life.

talk about work. talk about your hobbies. talk about your gadgets. talk about your favorite team.

and also talk about your family. talk about how amazing your wife is. talk about what makes your children incredible & unique. talk about how you engage your family.

in the meantime, i’ll be the lone dude. the big hairy guy on the tunnel. surrounded by mommy bloggers.

maybe next year, they’ll feature 13 local daddy bloggers. how ’bout it guys?

****************************************

i thought it might be helpful to get a running list of local daddy bloggers. by that, i mean men who actually at least occasionally blog about their family (as opposed to just fathers who have blogs). feel free to leave a comment with suggestions/links.

1. Amy B. says:

Great post, Ryan. I was very glad they didn't use the term "mommy blogger." For one, it would have been careless to do that since you were a part of the story. Also, I — and some of the other women there — are not at all mommy bloggers. Frankly, I find talking about my children too much tedious and boring for me, let alone random readers. So I have to give kudos to them for not emphasizing that too heavily.

But I'm with you — bring on the boys. Some of my favorite family bloggers are men. Some of my other favorite bloggers are those who write about local topics. So I'd love to see some local men in the mix.

2. katandkarl says:

agreed – the pool is shallow. I think the common thread amongst all these featured bloggers is that we write about life. you don't just write about your professional interest (not that there is anything wrong with that; maybe just not a fit for this group). You write about music, and culture and family. I write about whatever spews out of my mouth. My family is often included in that. And, most importantly, you produce new and interesting content regularly like the rest of the bloggers on the list.

That being said, I did have a boy blogger (that's the technical term) from LR email me after the article… he blogs at http://www.atouchofarkansas.blogspot.com. Maybe he can represent in the next photo op.

3. christen says:

i'm waiting for your blog that talks about "how amazing your wife is…" When is that scheduled to post??? I mean, she is pretty amazing…just sayin'.

4. tsudo says:

Thanks for writing this post. I'm glad to hear you clarify the wording used in the article because I did find it very off putting.

There are plenty of local male bloggers. We may not have as many dedicated to "family" blogging but I know for a fact that Greg and Cotton share very personal stories on their blogs and I started a separate blog a few months ago that is strictly my family blog. (CrawfordCrew.com)

Most of us gents are tech bloggers and I realize that doesn't fit with LR Family's demographics or focus so I don't mind that they leaned toward female bloggers.

But let's not pretend there aren't men out here doing a great job.

Here's just a few off the top of my head.

Cotton http://www.cottonrohrscheib.com/blog/
    Greg – http://stayclassylittlerock.com/
    Brant – http://www.brantcollins.com/
    Steven Trotter – http://blog.steventrotter.com
    Aaron Reddin – http://aaronreddin.com/
    Alex Cone – http://alextcone.tumblr.com/
    Robert Blake – http://blog.robertablake.com/
    Me (Keith) – http://knowthenetwork.com

5. Natalie Ghidotti says:

I definitely know the intent of Jennifer and LR Family was not to exclude men. Remember, this is a family-oriented publication, so I believe that's why the group was chosen – based on the fact that all of them (if not every post) blog about their family.

Also, even though Tara Dennie was featured, her husband, Rob, is co-blogger for their website, http://www.dennie.org. So, even though he wasn't photographed, he was there in blogger spirit!

I love reading blogs by the guys too. Here's one of my favorites. This dad of twins is witty and just fun. http://www.childsplayx2.com/

Thanks for the post, Ryan!

6. Jennifer Pyron says:

Ryan, thanks for opening the dialogue on this … and defending my honor! Yes, I do sometimes write the way I talk, in a flippant manner. And I am indeed sorry if it came off that way. My intent was to acknowledge you, not suggest that it was a surprise that you were there. Keith, thanks for this list. All are being added to my Google reader so I can keep up with them. Just needed to broaden my horizons a bit. Thanks for doing that. Look for Local Bloggers, Part II in the near future, as response has been so great for this one.

7. Jeff & Kristin McClure says:

Thanks for the "shout out" Kat, I really appreciate it. For someone that is new to Blogging, was very helpful to know there are so many other LR Bloggers out there. Tsudo, will check out the list of the others that you mentioned as well.

Look forward to reading your blog Ryan! Keep up the good work.

Jeff

8. panamamama says:

Good for you! Love finding fellow LR bloggers.

9. sarabethjones says:

Hey – I am grateful for that list of men who blog as well. It is so fun to make these local connections.

Ryan, I'm glad you were there to represent (you looked great in the plaid shirt!), and I've been meaning to pass along another local theologian/music fanatic to you, my friend Taido. @taidochino on Twitter, and his blog is taidochino.com. His wife Alison also blogs at alisonchino.com, and was asked to be in the LRFamily article but unfortunately was out of town.

One more thing – when I read your post, my first thought was that while it was striking that we were almost all women, it was even more striking that we were definitely all white. I love how your post here has generated some new connections for me – so maybe I'll ask for feedback on the race side of things on my blog. 🙂